Caustic Potash (Potassium hydroxide) – 5 reasons not to use it
Caustic potash is a strong base that has a devastating effect on organic materials. It is highly corrosive and very dangerous to human health.
Those who recommend it for septic tanks absorbent problems or pipeline blockages are either ignorant about septic tanks operation or are not well informed.
Do not fall into their trap for the following 5 reasons:
- Caustic potash causes severe burns on human skin and is very dangerous in the eyes and respiratory system. Its dissolution in water is strongly exothermic, it releases heat to its surroundings and gases toxic to human.
- It is a dangerously corrosive chemical especially in metals. It can cause serious damage to your sewage system with very expensive restoration.
- It increases PH in the septic tank and saponifies fats. This reaction can slightly degrade septic tank volume but it will carry the saponified fats to other points making their disintegration even more difficult. At the same time it inactivates (kills) the microorganisms responsible for waste treatment “transforming” the septic tank into waste pool which needs frequent pump outs. That means money, annoyance and malodors.
- It is toxic to the environment and contaminate aquifers.
- It does not provide a definitive solution to sewage system problems such as our organic and natural products Septi Plus, Eco 3006 and Eco Deep Clean.